Thursday, January 15, 2009

Our Week

Lest you think our home has been eternal bliss lately after my last post, I'll update you on what's really going on. If you don't like to hear about sicknesses, this is not the post for you. So this is the THIRD time Jazlyn has been sick THIS MONTH!!!!! I'm sure most of you reading this have already heard me complain about this, but I'm not exaggerating. It's quite frustrating. Unfortunately, this time Matsen is sick too. He's got the cough/cold Jazlyn has plus the stomach flu. Poor guy--good thing he's such a happy guy and it hasn't phased him too much. As I've thought about this week and being sick in general, here's what comes to mind:

Pros to having sick kids
-cuddly kids
-the kids take good long naps (which is great since Jazlyn doesn't normally nap anymore)
-no rush to be out the door, put on make-up, get dressed, etc.
-makes you sooo grateful for the good health we so often take for granted

Cons
-lots of extra laundry
-stuck at home for days and days
-whiny children
-getting up countless times during the night
-wishing you could take their sickness away, but being powerless to do so
-don't get hardly anything done since you're so busy taking care of the sick kiddos
-trying to get your kids to take medicine
-did I mention extra laundry?
-missing out on preschool/field trips/hanging out with friends
-constantly worrying about whether your child is hydrated enough, going to be okay, etc.

Just in case you don't have kids yet and are thinking about not having them after reading this post, just be assured that after the kids are in bed at night, I do admit that they are so worth all of the hard work and I can't begin to imagine life without them. They're just much more enjoyable to be around when they're healthy. But aren't we all?

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Ewwww, the stomach flu... That must have been after I talked to you the other day. I'm sorry they're sick and that they have the flu of all things. That can really take a toll on those little ones- and there parents too!

jamie t. said...

Bummer, I didn't know, and we wanted to get together for a play date. Let us know when you are healthy. I hope they both get feeling better soon. Let me know if you need anything.

Maren said...

just awful! I think you pretty much got the pros and cons covered. Sickness really isn't the funnest part of children but I agree I couldn't do without them. good luck, I hope they get better soon.

Sarah said...

Yuck no fun! Hope everyone gets better soon and stays that way!

Monica said...

That is one thing I hate about this time of year, it always seems like the kids are sick (and if you have more than one, it generally spreads to all the kids). I do like how my kids get very cuddly when they are sick, I just wish they didn't have to get sick to be more cuddly! I hope your kids get better soon.

bugnose7 said...

There is nothing worse than multiply sick kids. I remember when I had three kids with chicken pox at the same time. It was like a hospital. Sherrie

Tiera said...

Sick kids are no fun! My 2 big worries with sick kids are high fevers and keeping them hydrated. Hope everyone starts feeling better soon.

Dangcutekids said...

Mary just came down with the throw up bug yesterday, and the laundry comments really hit home, sorry your's were sick, hope they're feeling better! They sure are growing up fast, that picture of Matsen with the train sweater is darling.