Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Object Permanence

For all of you child development lovers, this post is for you. I don't remember Jazlyn having an overnight learning of object permanence, but today Matsen seemed to wake up with this new concept having clicked in his brain. I have bragged multiple times about how he goes right to sleep for naps, bedtime, etc. Today the second I laid him down and he watched me leave the room (each time he took a nap) he started bawling. And cried and cried until I came in to see comfort him. As much as I am thrilled that he loves my company and misses me when I'm gone, I'm just perplexed as to how abruptly this came along. Also, he now gets upset when I take things from him he shouldn't be playing with (he has not done this before). But there are some exciting developments happening too. He now says "mama" a lot! That is sooo fun! Jazlyn said "dada" first so I am excited about "mama" first this time! It is so fun to see every new little thing he does.

3 comments:

Marci said...

Wow, that's cool - Emma said "mama" first too, while Alex said "dada" first. She's going through the separation anxiety phase too - Mommy's her whole world right now. And I can't say I don't enjoy it. ;-) I feel bad for Scott, but I'm loving it. :-)

Kaylene said...

Not that I'm qualified or anything, but when I was nannying for the boys, the same thing happened with Roanin (the little one), at around 6 months. I always had them when their mom left for school, and it was like one day he could care less that she was leaving, and the next day he would completely lose his mind. Same for naps, toys, etc.

Maybe you just got lucky with Jazlyn? Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

:)

Rachel said...

Oh, Ryley totally knows that concept- I hope he didn't tell Matsen- LOL! The kids are cute as ever and I love Jazlyn's curled hair!