Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Motherhood...as it relates to my hands


So yesterday I went to the dermatologist. I've dealt with eczema for pretty much my whole life, but lately it's been really bad. Fortuntately, the doctor was super nice and prescribed me some great stuff that is helping. I was looking at the hand-out they gave me about "dermatitis" and found part of it quite comical. It talks about how dermatitis is common in many industries involving cleaning, catering, hairdressing, and health care. Out of the six "industries" it listed, these four definitely are every day parts of being a mother, as I'm sure you other fellow-mothers know well. It also says to avoid "wet work"....hmmm...doing dishes and washing hands after wiping bottoms multiple times a day would definitely put my "job" in the wet work category. It then goes on to say how a few days off of work, or weeks or months, if the case is more severe, may be necessary. Or that a change of occupation may be necessary. That gave me a good chuckle. No breaks for being a mother. But I don't care how bad my hands would get, I would never want to trade being a mother for anything in the world. Besides the stressful moments, it's the greatest job in the world!!

Here are my three favorite people!

10 comments:

JulSH said...

I've dealt with eczema for years on my hands...how have we NOT had this conversation before! We'll have to trade solutions!

It's awful when your hands hurt and washing them just makes them hurt more!

jamie t. said...

I didn't realize that you dealt with that... bummer. I'm glad you found someting that has helped though.

That is also so funny about taking months off of "work" Probably not going to work for you. A moms job is never done. I agree with you though that as a mom we wouldn't trade what we do for anything!

Sarah said...

Eczema stinks! I have it too. I love the descriptions you have, too funny. My best friend is thick creamy lotion. I get it from Avon.

janc@mac.com said...

My favorite solution to dry, cracked hands all winter is disposable gloves -- well worth every penny and can be worn through cleaning, washing dishes, peeling onions, washing windows, whatever. If you want to be even more economical but Playtex rubber gloves that can be reused. Just before you go to bed douse your hands with Lubriderm and use Bandaids coated with Desitin for cracked, bleeding nail edges. Life is short -- enjoy soft hands!

janc@mac.com said...

My favorite solution to dry, cracked hands all winter is disposable gloves -- well worth every penny and can be worn through cleaning, washing dishes, peeling onions, washing windows, whatever. If you want to be even more economical buy Playtex rubber gloves that can be reused. Just before you go to bed douse your hands with Lubriderm and use Bandaids coated with Desitin for cracked, bleeding nail edges. Life is short -- enjoy soft hands!

Lisa said...

Your right, once you start the job as a mother you are always a mother.

Crystal said...

I feel for you. I have eczema also and unfortunately I have passed it on to David. Jake says, "You wear lotion so much that you have made your skin weak so that it doesn't do what it supposed to..."whatever.

bugnose7 said...

I love it when doctors give such great advice. When I went through my miscarriages and had 5 kids and they say go to bed you really wonder what plant they live on. There is no way a Mom can not get their hands wet 20 times a day at least. You have a great battle ahead.

Russ Larsen said...

Hi Kristy,
I'm sorry you inherited your eczema from me. One of the things I didn't want my kids to inherit was my eczema. I remember when you were 2 or 3 I had it soooo bad on my hands I couldn't straighten any of my fingers because of the cracks on every knuckle. If I tried to straighted them they would bleed. I worked at the blood center then and did testing for AIDES. Its when it first came out. We were suppose to where gloves to protect ourselves, but the powder in the gloves made them worse. Many times I didn't wear the gloves and my co-workers would get mad at me. I had to get seek medicine from the dermatologist. Its gone from my hands now and moved to my face. Hang in there. You're a GREAT mom and I love you!!! Mom

Saratoga Six said...

Oh, I didn't realize you have it so bad. I hope it gets better. I've been using rubber gloves to do dishes this winter to avoid velcro skin. I hate that!