Sunday, November 5, 2017

Flying through Autumn


  Here's some highlights of what's been going on with us lately.  I got to go on Matsen's field trip to the science center, which was fun, but exhausting to chase 5 boys around who wanted to go in different directions.  I'm glad I got to go, but man, I was tired out by the end!




 Jazlyn, Matsen, and I went on the annual 5K run that many of the elementary schools do here in partner with the community.  Matsen is quite the runner and took off from us at the beginning and ended a whole 5 minutes earlier than us.  To say he was proud of this was an understatement!  I think he's going to be our runner!




One day Shelten decided he wanted to go for a "hike."  His imagination is so much fun.  

  Jazlyn learned how to finger knit at Young women's and taught the boys how to as well.  They made an astronomical amount of scarves over a long weekend.  Very fun!


 Over the long weekend we had a few weeks back, with parent teacher conferences, we took a day trip to a military base where they had quite a large museum.  It's been a long time since I've been on a military base and it brought back some memories of being on a base as a kid.  We got to teach the kids a little bit about that.


There was a beautiful park on the base to honor some famous military leaders.


  Our true boys found some sticks at the park.


  We also found a 100 year old carousel that the kids got to ride.  They sure enjoyed that!



  Here's some highlights of the Halloween festivities: the ward Halloween party, where Jazlyn got to help run one of the kid's games.  


  Carving pumpkins--sadly I missed out on getting pictures of the big kids' pumpkins.  We carved them earlier than usual and they didn't make it too long in this chillier weather.  They all did a fabulous job on them.  Wes helped carved Shelten's pumpkin.

   Jazlyn went trick or treating with a friend and her family, and sadly I realized after I dropped her off that we didn't get a picture of her and the boys together....she wore a toga.  The boys were super excited about trick or treating and got some great loot!
 
 Jazlyn had an orchestra concert recently.  She loves orchestra, her teacher, and playing the viola!


  A little too late in the year, Shelten and I discovered a super fun park.  Once it warms up some more, we'll have to take the big kids back to enjoy it with him.


 Wes went home for his grandma's funeral recently.  While he was gone, I decided to take the kids to do something "fun."  Unfortunately, things don't always turn out as "fun" as I envision, but we [mostly] had a good time.  We found a small train we got to ride. 

 
  I also heard about a skating place that if you wore your costume, you got in for free and just had to pay for skate rental.  It never said it was ice skating, so I assumed it was roller skating.  I assumed incorrectly though.  Taking a four year old ice skating and being the only parent there wasn't exactly fun.  He was on the ice 30 seconds before he melted down and refused to ice skate.  It's not like I could pick him up and carry him around while skating and you can't really compel someone to skate....so we each took turns sitting on the sidelines with him.  We weren't there too long, good thing I didn't pay full price!


  The bright part of Shelten's day was there were some fun fall festivities going on in the area and there was a fire truck outside of the building the rink was in.  The firemen were really nice and let him try on the real oxygen tank.  That just made his day.  Funny how the part of the day that was totally unexpected and unplanned was the part that he loved the best.



 Wes had a good trip home with his family.  While we'll miss his Oma, we are happy that she's reunited with her husband and is at peace from the physical struggles that she had here for quite some time.  


7 comments:

janc@mac.com said...

It's fun to read your recent adventures. Being a "single parent" even for a few days can be daunting. Way to go -- making sure the boys had fun. Jazlyn is such a wonderful girl. Playing viola will open many doors for her.

Blogful said...

A great update. You mom so hard!

Kay Lynn Larsen said...

Good job on your run!! Looks like the kids had fun on Halloween, I guess that's a no brainer because they get candy!!
As I told you, I remember some of our outings that I thought were going to be SO fun and memorable and didn't turn out anything like we'd planned. Fortunately, we can laugh about them now. Sounds like they're "normal" kids:)

Anonymous said...

Love the fun photos.

Lindsey said...

It was fun to catch up with what you guys have been doing lately! You're such a fun Mom! I've definitely had outings with the boys that I've looked forward to and thought they would think were so fun and it's turned out differently. I'm sure they'll look back one day and only remember the fun stuff and your hard efforts as a Mother :)

Crystal said...

I am so glad you are blogging again! It's been a while. I had to laugh when you talked about wanting to do something "fun" with your kids and it didn't turn out how you planned. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to plan something fun with my kids and it turned into a disaster. We tried to take our kids ice-skating last year and we had a similar experience. Amy was on the ice for about 1 minute before she gave up.

Unknown said...

Love your blog. You are such a great mom!! Love seeing all the fun activities.