Sunday, May 8, 2016

A little bit of this, a little bit of that...

  Happy Mother's Day to my wonderful Mother!!  I appreciate your love and example more than words can say!  Thanks for all that you taught and continue to teach me over the years.  Our children love and adore you as well!


  We've had a really exciting and busy month with lots of good things!  Last night, Matsen received his Tiger scout award!  He is enjoying scouts and all of the fun assignments he gets to do with it.



  Yesterday, we did the annual 5K Temple run.  Matsen and I had done a 5K before, but this was a first for Jazlyn.  We'd been going on runs on Saturdays to get them ready for it.  While I can't say they enjoyed every minute of the preparation and the race, overall they did really well and better than I thought, and said they were glad they did it.  I hope it taught them that they can do hard things!  Shelten was the honorary guest, chilling in the stroller.


 Matsen's grade went to the zoo on a field trip last week and little brothers and I tagged along.  It was the first time Shelten had ever been to the zoo and he loved it!





  Jazlyn has been in choir this year and twice a year the choir goes on a "tour" and sings in different stores and offices and then to a mall.  They went to an outlet mall to sing and I got to chaperone her group after they sang and hang out at the mall for a bit.  



  Shelten was very proud about getting trained early to mow the lawn.  Wes is trying to work his way out of this job quickly!  Good thing we have lots of ready helpers!


  Jazlyn has also been in Battle of the Books this year, where a team divides up a set list of books to read and then they have meetings to review them over the year and get to compete against other teams to see who knows them the best.  She had a really fun time doing it, but unfortunately their team lost its first round by one question. That's ok, it was a great experience.



  Wes and I went on a double date with our awesome next door neighbors recently to Trapped in KC, where you get locked in a room for an hour and have to solve a mystery with clues in the room you figure out how to get out.  This picture was taken right before Wes cut the wire of the fake bomb.  I'm glad I was with all of these smart people, I pretty much sat in awe, watching how quickly they put all of the clues together to solve this mystery.


  Matsen's teacher he had for kindergarten and first grade recently had her first baby, so we threw her a baby shower.  She's been a great teacher; he just adores her.


 And last, but certainly not least, I hosted a piano recital for all of my students this weekend.  They all did so amazing, I was soooo proud of all of them!  This is the most students I've ever taught at one time.  They are such a great bunch of kids and are really wonderful to teach.  Their parents are all very supportive and wonderful to work with too, which makes it nice!







Silly me, I can't figure out how to get this picture to turn to the correct angle on my blog, but I had to document the cute cake I made.



8 comments:

Crystal said...

That is a super cute cake! There is a place in Rexburg called the Safe House, and you have to solve clues to escape as well. I'll have to take Jake there on a date. I've tried to talk David into doing a 5k with me and he won't do it. I showed him your pictures and he said that he would do one with me now! Yay!

Kay Lynn Larsen said...

Cute post! Thanks for the sweet words. Its so fun to see the kids doing lots of worth while activities. Glad your piano recital turned out so well and your cake looks great!! Dad and I were watching old videos of you kids for Mothers Day tonight and we were watching some of your old piano recitals. When you were Jazlyn's age you were playing some pretty difficult & long songs!! We can see that all your practicing and hard work has paid off:) There was a few moments on the video that reminded us of Skyping with you today. Lol
Happy Mothers Day to a GREAT mother!! Love you

janc@mac.com said...

this was so fun to read about all the great things your family is doing. You are always teaching by making them do hard things and helping them accept not winning every time. I LOVED the CAKE you made for your recital. Congratulations on a great event and also being so kind to the Kindergarten teacher. I love your MOM too. She is wonderful!

Lindsey said...

Looks like you've been up to lots of fun things lately! Great job on that cake! That's exciting how many students you have, I'm sure they all love you! Hope you had a great Mother's Day, you sure deserve it:) Love you!

bugnose7 said...

Your family has been involved in many great things. They are lucky to have you as a mom.

Saratoga Six said...

Fun times with your kids! I love how lawn mowing comes early. ;-) way to keep up with piano students and 4 young kids.

Lisa said...

You have had a busy month. I love your cake.

mtwbb said...

I love your picture matsen