Some of my boy's favorite books have been about birds: for a long time Matsen's was "Are You my Mother?" and Kelston's favorite book request is usually "The Best Nest." The reality of a momma bird and her nest became reality for us!! Before we even moved the stuff into our new house, we found a nest a momma bird had recently made on the gate to our fence, which is really low, so the kids can actually see it well. Within the first few days of being here, she layed her eggs, one each day for three days. To say the kids were excited is to put it mildly!!
And not just any eggs, but turquoise!! (Notice they match Jazlyn's dress)
The day was anxiously awaited for them to hatch. We warned the kids to not ever touch the nest or the mom wouldn't come back. Well, one day I was watching a friend's kids and walked outside just as their little girl had picked up the whole nest. It was probably a really good thing she wasn't my kid, because I probably would have been not so nice, but I calmly told her to put it down, thinking, "Well there goes our baby birds." The mother robin was standing on the ground just a few feet away. To my amazement, after she set down the nest, she flew right back up there and sat down on her eggs. I was so surprised and relieved that she didn't leave. The kids would have been devastated!
A little less than 2 weeks later, we got to witness one of the babies hatching out of its egg. I've never witnessed that before, but it was so neat to watch. Just like in "Are you my Mother," the mother bird takes off as soon as they start hatching to go get some food. I was worried though that maybe the mom was gone for good since the nest had been touched and the kids were concerned that the babies might not make it. Matsen was ready to go bring them some worms. (I tried to explain the regurgitation process) Jazlyn calmly suggested they say a prayer that the mom would come back. I love the faith of a child! And our prayers were answered how we'd hoped, the mom came back and has been still warming up her baby birds since. This picture was taken a few days after they were born, they looked so strange at the beginning with no feathers or fluff. It was truly a small miracle to me and a tender mercy from Heavenly Father that the mom stayed there on her eggs, not just for those little birds, but also so my kids could have their prayer answered and witness the miracle of birth and life.
Look at this little guy. It's blowing my mind that he's almost 10 months old!! He's really starting to get into stuff and be much more mobile. He's lots of fun though, we all love him to pieces!
Last weekend we went to Independence, Missouri and Liberty Jail and saw the Kansas City Temple. Its awesome to be so close to so many new things for us to explore as a family. The kids loved it!
6 comments:
What great first adventures for your new home. I loved your pictures of the bird, eggs, and nest. Few people get to observe something so wonderful so closely. Great to live near the Temple and so many other fun places. We love to see your news.
Oh wow! That would have been amazing for anyone, but especially little kids. I am so glad they thought to pray. What a great mother you are for teaching them. Looks like you are going to have lots of fun in your new area. Keep blogging about it all. Can't believe how fast everyone is growing!
That is a great story! You will have to take more pictures as they get older. What a great experience for your kids!
That is such a sweet experience for your kids.
You have a whole new world to explore with your kids.
So cute! Jazlyn has always had so much faith in prayer. I remember when she was 3 or 4 years old and we were at the store together. I couldn't find something and ask her to help me. She said, "let's say a prayer grandma" and knelt right there in the store and said one. She got up and found what we were looking for within 30 seconds.
Glad you're getting to see lots of new things. Love you
That is so cool that your kids got to experience that! I'm so glad that the Momma bird came back, I would have been sad too if she hadn't. I'm excited for all these new adventures you guys are going to have in your new home:)
Post a Comment