Sunday, May 12, 2013

There's a first for everything...

 A few weeks ago we had our first "bring your kid to the ER" visit.  Fortunately it was not life threatening, but still scary nonetheless.  I accidentally pinched the tip of Matsen's pinky in a door and it was barely hanging on.  He is such a brave little guy though.  He screamed at first but then was super brave and tough.  Wes was at work and Jazlyn was at school so I took him in by myself, and I'm sure we were quite a sight.  It was first thing in the morning so I hadn't showered or changed out of my sweats and looked a sight.  I didn't even think to make sure Matsen had shoes on and just put him in the car with a rag for him to hold his finger together with.  Fortunately a kind friend watched Kelston because I ended up having to carry him in to the hospital (being 6 months pregnant) since he didn't have shoes on and I couldn't find a parking spot that was close.  He had to get x rays and I couldn't even stand right by him for them since I'm pregnant but he was such a champ and did great.  We were there for about 3.5 hours and he had to get 7 stitches!  I am amazed at how quickly the body heals though and his finger looks so much better just 2 weeks later.  His nail is the only part that looks yucky now. 
  
  Other exciting news.....drum roll please.....Kelston is (knock on wood) potty trained....HOORAY!!!  Hopefully I didn't jinx myself by typing that.  He's been doing great!  We've been busy planting our garden and enjoying the amazingly gorgeous spring we've been having here. 

 Happy Mother's Day to all of you wonderful moms reading this blog, especially to my own fabulous mother.  I don't think there's any other job that could be as extremely difficult but yet so highly rewarding at the same time too.  What a blessing it is to be a mother!

6 comments:

jamie t. said...

oh I am glad he is ok. those situations are always so scary.

janc@mac.com said...


That was a truly "Mother's Day" story -- rushing off to your child's rescue no matter how one looks, whether there are shoes, etc. You are a great mom. Hopefully it will continue healing and look much better with time.

Crystal said...

been there done that. It is really traumatic, especially for the mom. David's fingernail is what saved his finger from coming off. It still looks funny to this day. The body is amazing in how it heals. You will heal too. :)

Russ Larsen said...

So glad our buddy Matsen is O.K.
I'm so excited for you that Kelston is potty trained, that is always such a BIG relief, especially when you're expecting another one.
You're a GREAT mother...don't forget it!!
I love you, Mom xooxox

Lisa said...

I hate those trips to the ER. Im so glad it he is ok.

Sarah said...

No fun to have to go to the ER. I'm glad he'll be okay. It is always great to get the younger siblings potty trained before a new baby comes.