Sunday, October 19, 2008

Ideas, Please!

Thanks everyone for your eating advice. I've checked out the eating book and am trying to not be such a pushover....hopefully with time the pickiness will lessen! So, today I just got called at church to do the Activity days. This means I'll be helping plan an activity for the 8-11 year old girls every other week. I'm just starting to brainstorm some ideas, but I was wondering if any of you have any fun and SIMPLE ideas for activities: teaching skills, service activities, etc.: especially free or very cheap activities. Or if you know of any good websites that have good ideas, please send them my way! Thanks!

8 comments:

Blogful said...

This was my favorite calling ever. I loved it. I found a good book (I think it was Primary Partners) that had good ideas. I should email you all my advice...

Sarah said...

Fun! I did that for a short while when I was in my mom's ward. Trina is in activity days! I'm sorry I don't have too many ideas. If they do something fun I'll shoot it your way.

Rachel said...

Hey, congrats! I am jealous!!! I LOVED being the acitivities day leader when it was my calling for 1 1/2 years. I had (I say "I" b/c they never could get me assistants to help me with my 15-18 girls so Chad always came so there would be 2 people there. Anyway, I got a lot of ideas off of JennySmith.com. For activities we did things like sew pillow at x-mas, have nutrition month in Jan. to kick off New Year's resolutions with an excercise (swimming) and then the 2nd activity that month I had my friend (a member who was a nutrionist) come in and give the girls a lesson on healthy snacks (she made smoothies) and then we played nutrition games. We made bath salts once to go along with a lesson on the sacrament (cleansing) and we baked cookies for Hallween and the girls had to pick a family to give them to. We did tye dye, cake decorating (that was hard) and tons more. For one activity we taught a baby sitting course, had them assemble kits with a list we gave them to take home, and then we asked them "serve" a family in the ward with younger kids by being a "mothers helper." Since they were too young to babysit alone they baby sat and helped one afternoon while the mom's were home doing other things like chores. Anyway, if you have questions call me and we can talk more.

Lisa said...

i was a Wolf den leader (8 year olds) in Cub Scouts a couple years ago. One activity that was a big hit was going on a service scavenger hunt. we had a list of simple odd jobs that the kids could in just a couple minutes: taking out garbage, sweep a porch, wash a window, etc. The boys loved it and didn't even complain. I think they liked taking a walk around the neighborhood. I have lots of ideas. I'll let you know if I think of more!

Caity said...

My family did goal posters which was fun and my mom did it with her primary class too and said they loved it. You gather magazines and find pictures and words representing what goals you have in life then cut them out and glue them on a poster board. Simple, but fun. It's a good thing for the girls to start thinking about! That's the only thing I can think of right now! Sounds like a fun calling! Good luck! I bet you'll be great!

Marci said...

What kind of activities are you looking for? I have tons of stuff for that age group, but it's mostly lesson plans, math games, science activities, etc. Let me know if you want something strictly educational.

One fun thing would be to have them create terrariums and watch them grow - all you need is a bag of potting soil, a few packets of seed (peas, corn, radishes and clover work well) and a plastic container with holes poked in the top. You could make it part of the weekly activity to record the growth of each plant or something. I have some worksheets I could send you if you want, too. Great way to teach awareness of the environment and how environmental factors affect our food supply - you could also connect it with service if you grew something the girls could take to a retirement home or something at some point.

Let me know what I can help with!

Lisa said...

hey, monica isaacson came over with her 3 kids all day yesterday! we hadn't seen each other in over 5 years. it was so fun to meet all of her kids and catch up. wish you could've been here too. oh, monica told me that you ran a half marathon!! That's so awesome! you inspire me. maybe i'll do a half marathon someday. i do like running. anyway, hope you had a fun halloween with your kids.

Burbs said...

try latterdayvillage.com also sugardoodle.net

Congratulations on your call! That's the one I always want and never get called to!!!!! I still think your baby looks like your dad :)