Probably the most mentionable thing that's going on with us is trying to potty train Jazlyn. She's pretty much mastered #1...........but #2 is another issue. Help! She's pooped in the potty before, so I know she's very capable. The problem is getting her to tell me when she needs to go or not catching her before it's too late. She's becoming sneaky and doing her business in her crib now when I'm not there to see what she's doing. We've tried bribes, rewards, and everything, but for some reason she's having a hard time with this. Any suggestions?????
4 comments:
We had the same problem. Garret was pee trained in a day, no joke but we struggled with number two. What worked for us was having our "underwear party". For a couple weeks we put him back in diapers and told him we were going to practice some more. Then we practiced and talked about it and when he had an accident we said thats fine- next time run to the bathroom, we practiced from wherever he went from, we went over what to say if moms not there etc. and then we would say "once you have your underwear party you have to go in the potty" we told him he would be a big boy then. We had th eparty, nothing really hot dogs and cake and then we blew whistles and he has worn underwear ever since. He has only had a handful of accidents since then. We still go over what to do everytime we are in a new situation but it really worked. My friend was having the same problem as well and what she did was she put her son in underwear and she would say you can go in the potty or a diaper, just come and get me before you go and tell me which you want to do. And she said her son just started picking the potty, he got a treat if he went in the potty and not the underwear and even though it sounds simple she said it worked. Who knows though they are all different. That was really long, sorry if you want to talk about it more send me an email! Good luck!
Maycie has been completely trained since January. She caught on quickly with both. We actually had more peepee accidents than poopy. I didn't even go through one package of pull ups. I know...lucky. When she did go poop, I kind of acted totally disgusted. "Eeww, Maycie, that is gross". She is kind of prissy little thing so it bothered her that I was disgusted with the poopy (not her). I just named off all her "favorite" people and told her they were big because they went in the potty and she wants to be big like them. I am no help because she just caught on really quick. I told myself when I started though, no turning back...meaning no diapers. We went to the store and she got to pick out her own panties...Little Mermaid. She didn't want to get Ariel wet or dirty! Good luck! Call if you have questions or want to vent...I don't think I have your new number.
We did a Potty reward chart with Sterling that worked well. You can find several versions online. We would give him 1 M&M for #1 and 2 M&M's for #2. Plus he got to put 1 sticker or two stickers on the chart (respectively). We had markers along the way, so after about 6-8 stickers, he'd get some kind of little toy or thing he really liked, and when he got to the end of the chart he got a "big deal" gift (ie. Thomas DVD). It didn't take him long to want to go in the potty. We did still have the occassional accident, but it was "just an accident," not evasion.
I totally understand the problem but can't say I have a great solution. I have been able to watch and notice when David needs to go #2 so we have had a little more success with it. He still doesn't tell me when he needs to do #1 or #2. I just have to watch him carefully, which isn't easy either. I just keep telling myself, "Don't give up!" Eventually, he will be able to do it all by himself. It just takes time. Think of it as trying to break a bad habit (going in the diaper) and how hard it is for us to acquire new, good, habits. Good Luck!
Post a Comment