Jazlyn challenged me to finish up writing about July tonight, so here we go. I realized looking back at photos that I did not do a good job of taking pictures at Wes's family reunion. But we got a few good ones.
We all had a great time playing fun family games at the park. Kelston and Wes were the experts at balancing the dice on a popsicle stick in their mouths.
Between all of Wes's relatives that were there for the reunion, there were over 800 temple ordinances done! The Manti temple is beautiful! It was my first time going there and it reminded me of a castle. It is one of my new favorites.
I loved the expression of pure anticipation on this picture below as I'm cutting the cake. Doesn't he look just a little bit excited?! I can't believe our baby is 3!! A little bit about Shelten:
He is by far the most outgoing of our children. He is very social and can talk your ear off.
He is also adept at sharing his emotions. One minute it's, "I love you, mom. I love you, Dad." The next minute it's, "You're mean! I'm mad at you, mom!" He loves to make people laugh is so hilarious that it's really hard for us to not laugh, even when we shouldn't. I do a preschool group with a few other moms twice a week with him and he LOVES IT. Every morning when he wakes up, he asks if it's a preschool day and is quite distressed the 5 days out of 7 when it's not a preschool day. He's very strong willed, but oh so adored by all of his family.
On his birthday we went to the Arboretum that has beautiful gardens with all of his grandparents. The deciding factor of going here is that there are some trains, and typical boy he is, he loves anything transportation!
The day after the birthday celebrations was Matsen's big day. He was very happy and beaming and said he felt warm inside after his baptism. Matsen is very conscientious and really wants to do what's right. He is such a thoughtful sweet boy and we're so proud of his decision to be baptized. Both of his grandpas were able to speak at his baptism and the spirit was very strong.
A picture with our bishop.
Afterwards, we went to the Arabia Steamship museum where we saw literally tons of recovered treasures that were dug up after it sank 150 years ago. It was amazing that it was in pristine shape after they cleaned it all up. One of the men who helped dig it up was there and they said they would still be cleaning up their findings from inside the boat for another decade or two [everything's in large freezers now to preserve it]. Many of the pioneers from our church went on this boat before it sank, but none were on it when it went down.
We have a young peach tree in our backyard that we CANNOT keep the squirrels out of (IDEAS PLEASE!!!). While we were in Utah, the squirrels ate every single peach off the tree and I was LIVID!!! A few weeks later, I found this one peach I hadn't spotted that the critters couldn't reach. Isn't it beautiful! I was so excited for this one peach, yet it just whetted my appetite and made me mad we didn't get more. Next year, the squirrels are going down!
Wes's parents stayed to visit for awhile and we went up to Omaha and visited the Winter Quarters sites there. How inspiring it was to learn about some of the things they went through, yet they stayed so positive, didn't complain, and just kept going.
This mill below is one of the only original things left standing about Winter Quarters. The church doesn't own it, but the lady who does was very gracious and lets anyone come in and look around for free. She has relatives who are members and spoke very highly about our church members. You could tell she knew it was very special to our history and it was really touching to see how much she went through to preserve it for us to enjoy.
Another momento we enjoyed was this violin from one of our ancestors.
I feel so blessed to have pioneer ancestors to sacrificed so much and paved the way for a beautiful legacy for us to pass on to our posterity. What a blessing it is to experience church history up close.


























11 comments:
Thanks for sharing. We had a busy summer. No wonder I'm still exhausted.
It's great to see a new post from you. I loved learning about all your summer adventures. Unfortunately it's hard to keep track of where your parents are and when so it's fun to see them in pictures with your family. Happy BD to Shelton and Congratulations to Matsen on his baptism. You have a beautiful family.
What a busy summer!!! Thanks for sharing pics of all your fun adventures! We love Shelten too, he sure is a character:) And Congrats to Matsen, wish we could have been there for his special day!
Yea, a new blog post! It was fun to reflect on the good times we had together this summer. We're so glad we were able to attend some of these special events in the lives of our beloved grandchildren. I know you live far away, but I do feel blessed for how much we've seen each other.
I don't remember you telling me who the violin belonged to, but that's cool. Dad and I want to go to Winter Quarters sometime. We'll have to do that on one of our trips out there. Love you:)
This is a great post! So many great memories of birthdays and baptisms and family adventures. PLEASE let me know if you find a cure for squirrels. We planted a peach tree this year and it had several on it and they were all gone before they even started to turn yellow. I hate squirrels. They got almost every tomato this year again too!
Loved your pictures mom. GLAD you took the challenge si e everyone could see what we did including me.👎 to squirrels.L I've you lots. Jazlyn
Loved your pictures mom. GLAD you took the challenge si e everyone could see what we did including me.👎 to squirrels.L I've you lots. Jazlyn
What a cool post! I thought it was so neat that you guys attended the temple for Wes' family reunion and completed so many ordinances. It was wonderful to see pictures of Matsen's baptism. David was just baptized yesterday. It was fun catching up on your family!
Keep going on your blogging. It is fun to see everything that is going on. Congratulations to Matsen on being baptized. I too love the Manti temple. It has some significance to our family.
Loved reading about your summer and glad we got to be a part of many of these fun activities. As you, know our side of the family has a history with the Manti Temple also. I miss those kiddo's and we had a blast when they came to stay with us here. Curious as to who the violin belonged to?
Love, Dad
Your blogging is going like mine these past few months. Crash blogging. I love catching up on your adventures.
Post a Comment