Time to play catch up! Shelten turned one!! He didn't have a clue what was going on of course, but boy did he love the cake, can you tell?! It was so surreal to think about one year ago when I was at the miserable ready-to-get-this-baby-out stage. That year seemed like it flew by faster than those last few weeks of pregnancy did, especially since he was so overdue. But boy was he worth it! He is such a sweetie pie!
He loves to clap for himself!
I know this picture isn't the best quality, but if you look close you can see what we call his "scrunchy" face. He pulls this face when he's not sure about something, or when I'm dancing and singing in the kitchen and he looks at me like, "Mom, what in the world are you doing??"
Some fun things about Shelten:
He adores everyone in his family!! He is a pretty happy guy as long as he's not teething or tired (pretty typical for a baby, right).
He is an eater!! This boy LOVES food!!! There aren't many things he isn't fond of. He eats so fast, I'll fill his tray, take 2 bites of my food and the next thing I know he's screaming for more food because he's already gobbled it all up!!
He's just barely taking his first steps in the past couple of days, its so fun!!
He gives great hugs. Sometimes he'll pat my back when he's giving me a hug, it's so sweet.
The week before school started we took a quick trip to the Lake of the Ozarks for a couple of days. Besides doing a LOT of swimming, we enjoyed Ha Ha Tonka state park. There were ruins there of a castle that a man build there about 100 years ago that burned down part of the way 35 years ago. There were some trails we hiked around there.
Look at this beautiful view that they would have been able to see out the castle windows.
One of the trails was not stroller friendly (or carrying babe in your arms friendly), so Wes sat it out with Shelten and the big kids and I roughed it. Initially I thought it was going to be a nightmare trying to take them all on a hike that was moderately difficult, but they surprised me and did AWESOME!!! None of them complained once. Here was a natural bridge, sunk down cave.
At the half way point we climbed down over 300 stairs, and then had to return back up them. It was beautiful there!
Fast forward to this past week, the kids went back to school! Here's Jazlyn with her good friend, our next door neighbor. They are excited to get to walk to and from school together. After living in Oregon and Washington it's really strange to start school half way through August. Its still hot and not time to break out the fall jeans by any means.....
Matsen started kindergarten!! This was a big deal! He was sooo excited about going, but a little nervous since he doesn't know a soul in his class! After waiting a year though, he was ready!
Tonight our neighborhood had a BBQ complete with a kids bike decorating contest. Matsen was especially into this. Anything crafty and he's there! He put a lot of time into decorating it, though the picture doesn't do it justice. Wes came up with the idea to tie some tin cans on the back of bike with a "Just Schooled" sign. And it worked, he won 1st prize for kids 6-9! He was thrilled! Kelston also got 2nd in his age group. Wes attached a squirt gun on his handlebar for a fun touch.
I have to document a small miracle. The other day I left Shelten alone for less than a minute and when I came back into the room, I had the impression to look in his mouth. He's always sticking stuff in there, but I can tell when he does because he moves his mouth around when he does like he's trying to eat something. However, at the time he was not moving his mouth at all and so I thought, "Why would I look in his mouth, he's not even moving his mouth." But the thought came again to check in his mouth. Fortunately, I listened, and I put my finger in and there was a piece of glass in there! He had found a candle in a glass holder and banged it on the ground until it cracked in a hundred pieces all around him and miraculously he did not get a cut, even with the piece in his mouth. Wow, I was so glad I listened to the Holy Ghost. I'm so grateful to have guidance from God to help with the details of my life.
8 comments:
I can't believe the kids are starting school already! Our lesson in relief society today was about listening to the whisperings of the Holy Ghost. I'm glad he is ok! And I can't believe he is one already!!!
You make cute kids. Thanks for being the best wife.
It seems like yesterday I was taking pictures of your "first" day of school. The kids look so cute!! I'm sure things are a little quieter around the house in the mornings now. The neighborhood parade sounds fun, I'm sure the kids LOVED that. That's scary about Shelten, glad you followed the spirit. Love you!
Aaahh! That last story really made my mother-heart leap. So glad you listened to the promptings. What a miracle. The Lord is watching over you!!
So, the rest of this post I just feel like cutting and pasting into my blog and just swapping the faces around. Seriously, our kids are way similar (except Chet hates eating) It was fun to see the birthday stuff bc Chet's big day is tomorrow!
It was fun to catch up on your family events for a minute. I can't believe your baby is a year old. Time is flying so fast from our perspective. The story of following the promptings of the HG was a miracle that needed to be recorded for his future history too. It was very sacred and special.
Your baby sounds like he's into the same stuff as my baby. I can't believe our babies are one! Glad to see your family is enjoying your new home and neighborhood.
That is such a blessing that he was ok and that you were aware of the promptings from the spirit.
One year olds are so fun!
Wow that is really scary that there was glass in his mouth! I don't even want to think about what could have happened had you not checked! We start school this week and David will be in kindergarten too.
Post a Comment