Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Big Four

  Forgive me while I'm a bit nostalgic, but I remember when we only had Jazlyn and I honestly thought that I only wanted to have little girls.  From what I saw, boys just got into so much mischief and were so busy and I just didn't think I could deal with that.  I guess I just thought having a little boy would be annoying.     
 However, when our little Matsen came, all of the sudden I realized how completely and utterly wrong I was.  He was the best baby, so sweet and cuddly and hardly ever let out a peep (not saying this is true for all boys, obviously), but I could not believe how fast he had me wrapped around his little finger.  He is such a sweet loving boy and now I wonder at my ignorance-- to think I could have ever truly lived without having a little boy, let alone the two little boys we're blessed to have.
 They both melt my heart every day when they say "Look mommy!" and I'm enjoying that they want to show me everything and give me so many hugs and kisses.  Little boys are just adorable!!!
  I can't believe my biggest little boy is four now.  Where did those four years go?  He is getting so big and he definitely makes much more noise now than he did as a baby, but he is oh-so much fun!  Some interesting things you might not know about Matsen:

-he has an EXTREMELY high pain tolerance!!!  I have to way overreact when he tells me something hurts because I know it has to be really bad for him to complain.

-he plays so well by himself and since he was little has been very good with his fine motor skills.  He'll spend hours building with legos or putting little things together.

-he's very organized.  He even helped me organize my kitchen cupboard once when bringing in the groceries and at other times tells me how I should organize things (obviously he did not get this trait from me).

-he is our only kid who likes going to the doctor, and has rarely ever complained about shots, being checked and poked or anything by the doctor.

-he loves to help me in the kitchen and says he wants to be a baker when he grows up and make cakes, cupcakes, cookies, brownies, etc.  [Yes, he did get this from me].  Of course, he loves to eat the creations too.

-he can be super mellow and easy-going lots of the time, but also has a VERY intense side to him that probably only his family has seen. 

We sure love having you in our family, Matsen!


  On a random note, here's some pictures of the kids around the house lately playing "dress up" in Dad's shoes.


And yes, my pictures are out of order (see, I told you I'm not organized), but here's Matsen with his most exciting birthday present--a new bike.  Wes came up with a fun treasure hunt for him to find it.  He was pretty surprised I think.  After he practiced riding it around for awhile, he kept telling me thank you and saying how he liked his bike.  It was so sweet!

8 comments:

Rachel said...

I was the same, I only wanted girls, and I totally agree, boys are so adorable and sweet!!! Maybe we just got lucky because I don't have terror stories. Maybe Matsen can help Ry with his motor skills!

Russ Larsen said...

Happy Birthday to Matsen! Can't wait to see you all tomorrow and especially to see the birthday boy on his bike.

Lisa said...

I can't believe he is 4. Boys are wonderful.

Sarah said...

Cute! Happy Birthday Matsen!

bugnose7 said...

You family is growing up much too quick. You have such a beautiful family. Thanks for sharing some special insight about Matsen. What a special boy.

janc@mac.com said...

He sounds like an unusually mature boy for four. He is really cute and it sounds like he is a blessing to everyone. I agree with you. Little boys are wonderful but then so are little girls.

Russ Larsen said...

I remember feeling the same way after I had 2 girls & I'm sooo thankful I had boys now!!
Matsen is a sweetie & we're so happy to have him in our family. I remember when he was born...hard to believe its been 4 years. Love you Matsen, Grandma

Crystal said...

Your kids are getting so big, it blows me away!